Color Inspiration Thursday: Pink Sands

pink_sands_collage

Pink Sands is a mauve-pink color, reminiscent of pink sand beaches, that somehow manages to be bright at the same time it’s soft and somewhat subdued.

For years I’ve maintained that I don’t like pink. I’ve come to realize what I mean is I’m not a fan of that bright, rather garish, bubble gum pink color (this could be because my childhood room was this color pink for a long time, but it’s hard to say). However, even that pink has it’s place, and looks great in colorwork projects (still too much for me on its own, but not mixed in with other colors, when a bright pop of color is just the ticket).

I’m all about Pink-Sands-pink, though. I love it on its own, like Julie of Knitted Bliss‘s Delineate Tank. And I love it in color work, especially with gray, in a project like The Rain Outside, which I knit in Sunna in Pink Sands and Graphite.

pink_sands5

Julie’s Delineate Tank (doesn’t this color look fantastic on her?!) (photo from her Ravelry project page)

pink_sands4

My “The Rain Outside,” in Pink Sands and Graphite (it’s finished, as you can see on this post, but I love this artsy shot I took at the beginning of my project)

This entry was posted in Color Inspiration Thursday, New York Sheep & Wool Festival. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Color Inspiration Thursday: Pink Sands

1. Vicli says:

With your coloring I’ll bet you’d be pretty in pink

2. stitchalong says:

I love pink, not the garish bubble gum pink, but the soft pastels. Pink Sands is definitely a color I could get lost in.

3. sloknitr says:

Not a “pinky” girl, myself, but that combo of Pink Sands and Graphite is beautiful!

4. vi says:

pinks can be so very complex, if you let them…… they range from blue based to coral based…. heathered and tempered …….
    ahem….. pinks are pretty difficult to catch just right with flower paintings

Says one who knows the complexities and vagaries of pink 😀

• vi says:

the right pink will make a person’s skin glow (pink or peach ceilings do the same thing)
        people tend to think of pink as a blue red with white added but there are tons of earthy yellow or orange and even ones shaded with greens

Yes, definitely. And we actually added the barest hint of pink to the white of our studio walls, to warm it and soften it at the same time. We’re so pleased with the color 😀

5. alhbooks says:

Yeah, I prefer the grayed or coral pinks, not bubblegum….this is pretty!