Studio: Creating a Yarn Wall

First off, the random winners of a skein of Birte in “Echo” are Teabird and Tracy! You’ve both been contacted via email; congratulations! I hope you love the yarn 😀

As soon as I saw the photo below on Pinterest a good long while back, I knew at some point I had to have a wall of yarn in my life.

The question, of course, was where. I seriously doubted my family would see the merits of this, as supportive and understanding as they are of my passion (addiction?). But since our house was already covered top to bottom with yarn in various stages of dyeing, drying, labeling, photographing, knitting … I thought one more yarn-related item might be the last straw and I’d find all my clothes, as well as my yarn stash, out in the front yard.

So, I just looked at the photo every so often in my Pinterest account, and kept thinking about the potential of having all my left over bits on display, ready whenever I wanted them, without having to go digging through bags to find the color I was looking for (and tangling everything in the process).

As soon as my studio became a reality, I immediately started planning for my Wall o’ Yarn. I knew I wouldn’t be as color-coordinated as the wall in the Pinterest photo, because I’d want to organize my yarn by weight instead of just color. This way, I’d have yarn at my fingertips whenever I wanted it, without having to go digging. And would also easily be able to know I was pulling colors in the same weight.

I do this every time I knit a fair isle hat, or other little item. These little projects are so great for leftover bits.

A little discussion with one of my son’s friends (who was also a studio-painter and fixer this summer), and the plan was laid out.

fullsizerender-58

Teenage boys are awesome.

fullsizerender-59

One 4’x4′ span of peg board (there’s another 2.5’x4′ span elsewhere in the studio, too, either for more yarn or some other display)

fullsizerender-60

Sunna, Tayet, and Brigantia leftovers

fullsizerender-62

All my leftovers, right above my desk 😀

fullsizerender-63

Close Up

What this has shown me is I need more yarn to fill up my sculpture (hahaha). Actually, I have some sweater quantities at home I may put up top. That way, I can easily look at them and let ideas percolate.

I’m sure much rearranging will ensue over the coming weeks and months. I’ll definitely keep each type of yarn separate, though, because trying to tell a 3-ply heavy fingering weight from a 3-ply dk weight can be challenging, especially if they’re the same fiber blend! But, I may switch it up, spread things out, leave more space between; really, I thought I had more yarn than would fit on this board before I started.

I’m really enjoying looking up from my computer and seeing my giant yarn sculpture.

Fun, isn’t it?

This entry was posted in Color, Spirit Trail Studio, Yarn. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Studio: Creating a Yarn Wall

1. teabird says:

I received my yarn today – it’s lovely! Thank you so much.

2. stitchalong says:

What a lovely yarn sculpture!! I am sure you will have it full in no time, SQ’s will eat up the space quickly. My one fear would be the light fading the exposed ends of the yarn, unless you have someway of protecting the yarn from UV rays.

It’s actually in a good spot in my studio ~ no direct light, and very little indirect light (I only have two windows, and I have them both covered … single pane and really letting the heat (or cold) in. So, drapes most of the time 🙂

3. It’s beautiful!  And what a great idea!

From: Spirit Trail Fiberworks To: williamssuzan@yahoo.com Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:25 PM Subject: [New post] Studio: Creating a Yarn Wall #yiv2426735947 a:hover {color:red;}#yiv2426735947 a {text-decoration:none;color:#0088cc;}#yiv2426735947 a.yiv2426735947primaryactionlink:link, #yiv2426735947 a.yiv2426735947primaryactionlink:visited {background-color:#2585B2;color:#fff;}#yiv2426735947 a.yiv2426735947primaryactionlink:hover, #yiv2426735947 a.yiv2426735947primaryactionlink:active {background-color:#11729E;color:#fff;}#yiv2426735947 WordPress.com | Jennifer posted: “First off, the random winners of a skein of Birte in “Echo” are Teabird and Tracy! You’ve both been contacted via email; congratulations! I hope you love the yarn :-DAs soon as I saw the photo below on Pinterest a good long while back, I knew at some po” | |

4. Donna Clanton says:

What a cool idea! And such a cheerful piece of art work. I’m sure it will fill up before you know it.

That’s what I’m a bit afraid of ;-). Actually, I think I’m going to rearrange it a bit to make more room between yarn weights, so it’s easier to get to everything. And then I might put some sweater quantities up at the top. So they’re out where I can see them and think about projects 🙂

5. Britta Callaway says:

Looks great. How are they staying on the wall? Peg hooks?

6. Vivian says:

Maybe do a yarn Chia Pet next?

7. Pam Price says:

This is beautiful!! Fun project!

8. Stephanie says:

I love this idea. Maybe when we go back to the loft one day. Not enough wall space in this place even for our art.

9. Leslie F says:

Love it

10. Issy Thomas says:

This is so cool! And it acts as insulation too!

Liked by 2 people

It might help! This old building is definitely lacking in that in places (actually, there is an old window behind this wall … with nothing but drywall between the wall and window. ugh. It’s HOT right now; I’m not really looking forward to how it feels in the depth of winter).