Color Inspiration: Glacier

I’m hoping to do multiple color inspiration sneak peeks this week as we head towards the New York Sheep & Wool Festival, to showcase at least a few more of the new colors coming to the show, and to my online shop when I get home.

Today it’s Glacier. I’m fascinated by glaciers; the history encased in their ice, and what scientists have been able to learn from them about earth’s past.

glacier-flight-alpine-air_dd53c3cf-b058-476d-8356-21852fdf5660

And I’m fascinated by photographs of glaciers, because they aren’t white at all. They’re such a mix of colors. White, yes. But also myriad grays, blues, aquas, charcoal. And it all changes with the weather ~ sunlight, overcast, storm. Each has such a different affect on the ice. There’s such depth of color, so interesting, and so different in every photograph.

For this colorway, I was going for some of the middle to deeper shades of softer blue tinged with gray I see in so many photographs.

zalti_glacier-1-of-1

Glacier, shown on STF Zalti (worsted, 100% Targhee)

I’ve managed to get this colorway on a number of bases. I really love it on all of them, but my current favorite is how it looks on Zalti, my newish 100% Targhee worsted weight, 100% made in the US yarn. It’s making its official debut at New York Sheep & Wool, and coming online thereafter.

glacier_collage

Glacier on STF Zalti, and inspirations for this muted, soft gray-blue colorway

Glacier happened to be atΒ the top of a bag of dyed yarn, and just below were two other relatively new colors. They look so pretty together, I immediately started imagining a softly-hued striped sweater in these three colors:

zalti_glacier_dappled_fog-1-of-1

Glacier, Dappled, and Fog on STF Zalti, 100% Targhee Worsted weight, 100% U.S. yarn

A sweater like Tea with Jam and Bread, Textured Pullover (with two colors as designed, or three), Β Driftwood (with Fog as the background and alternating stripes of Glacier and Dappled … oohlala!) … or maybe I’ll make one up :-D.

This entry was posted in Color, Color Inspiration Thursday, New York Sheep & Wool Festival, Yarn. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Color Inspiration: Glacier

1. cpeezers says:

Oh my goodness. I am loving your color inspiration posts!

2. sophy0075 says:

A most refreshing color – like the cooler breezes finally reaching us down south!

I’m not keen on olive-y greens, but I could definitely see combining Glacier with a rich navy, the grey, and a soft, “whitecaps” white.

Yes, definitely! There are so many possibilities with this soft gray-blue. I paired it with a couple of other new colors for another color inspiration post later this week. Stay tuned πŸ˜€

3. elaine says:

Love this color! I agree ~ a stripped sweater is in the near future. Will this colorway be available on line?
    (I just found your site ~ your yarn is beautiful)

Thanks! Yes, it will absolutely be available on line. I’ll be getting it up onto the website as soon as I return from NYSW. It should all be up by the end of October. I’m so glad you found me πŸ˜€

4. Stephanie B. says:

Gorgeous, and I’m with you on glacier love. They are very special, even up close.

5. Pam Mellinger says:

I soooo love this color

6. Martha says:

Glacier is wonderful! I can imagine projects for me like a cowl, a hat or scarf. This shade would look good in any project!

7. Mary Cady says:

Beautiful! Both the color and your blog post are terrific!