Did anyone else catch the Starting Point MKAL bug? I tried not to be lured in, but after looking at some of the photos of the first clue, I was helplessly hooked. It looked like too much fun. (Stop here if you don’t want to see my progress: spoilers ahead 🙂 ).
Since I started late, I’m behind, but I have finished both sections of Clue 1, and am just about finished with the first half of Clue 2. I can’t wait to see how this turns out!
The photos below are not the best ~ it was so dark and rainy yesterday I couldn’t get the colors right (the one above is much more true to color).
Clue 2 is lots of fun to knit, too. I almost finished one side of them last night. It’s really addictive. The next and last section of Clue 2 is in Fog, the light gray, and is the same size as the bigger section of South Pacific.
Because of the yardage requirements for some of the colors, I didn’t put any kits together for this MKAL. Two of the colors require more than 400 yards, and I don’t – yet – have a fingering weight yarn that’s more than 400 yards per skein. But I’m working on this omission in my yarn line up! But, knitting it, I am thinking if you don’t mind getting creative with what color goes where, I bet it could be knit with 5 skeins of a combination of Sunna and Astraea (I have 6.5 skeins total – two skeins of Sunna in Raku (Sunna is 356 yards per skein), one of Sunna in Fog, one each of Astraea in Retro and South Pacific (400 yards each), and a skein and a half of Sunna in The Witching Hour. I have more than enough yarn in some of the colors, just in one skein, so I’m betting they might be swappable. Once the pattern is fully revealed, it will be easier to tell if this is a possibility. And, if it is, this could be an excellent stash buster for single skeins of these two yarn bases.
I’ve been wanting to knit Retro and South Pacific together ever since I dyed them and held them up next to each other. I absolutely adore all these colors together, and just know this is going to be a wrap I wear a lot!
In other news, I am nearly finished knitting AND WRITING DOWN (duh) the pattern I designed for my son’s sweater, below (this is what I SHOULD be doing instead of knitting Joji’s Starting Point … sigh, no self control).
The final design is slightly different than the pattern below, which I think will be too deep in the yoke for most people. Jackson is so tall and lanky it looks fine on him, but when I tried it on I realized I needed to make some adjustments.
I’m knitting the prototype in Selene, my new DK weight non-shrink organic wool, which I absolutely love.
The pattern will be off soon to the Tech Editor, and then I’ll be looking for some test knitters. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in test knitting this pattern! I’d like to have every size test knit, and I’m hoping to have it in sizes from 6 months through XXL adult.