New Design! Milis Mitts


Milis, now available on Ravelry (perfect photo for St. Patrick’s Day!)

I love fingerless mitts. And I love colorwork. So, this is a match made in heaven.

Milis (which is Irish-Gaelic for “sweet”) is knit in STF Birte, my DK weight superwash Merino, cashmere, and silk blend yarn. Birte is truly next-to-skin soft and luxurious, and they feel FABULOUS on my hands and the more delicate skin of my wrists.

I chose the colors Happy Dance, Good Vibrations, and It’s Not Easy Being Green for my pair (all three colors are in stock). In the depths of winter, a shot of color can be so wonderful. I knew I’d love wearing these bright mitts when it’s cold and dreary outside.


The idea for a new pair of fingerless mitts started percolating in January, while I was designing and knitting Craic. For much of winter in Virginia, full mittens and gloves aren’t really necessary (for me), but fingerless mitts are perfect. They give just that little bit of added warmth and keep the draft off my wrists. Drafts are a funny thing: if my neck and wrists are warm it keeps the cold at bay. Scarves and mitts are my go-to’s for winter.


I wear them while working on the computer (my studio can be chilly!), or knitting while I watch one of my kids sports events, or just tooling around town. I designed Mili slightly longer, so they can be tucked into sweater and jacket sleeves, or even worn with ¾ length sleeves to cover the wrist and forearm area.

Milis can be knit with three colors, as I’ve done with my pair, but can easily be knit with two colors instead. Just knit Color B whenever the pattern calls for Color B or Color C, and you’re all set. If I knit another pair, I could totally see Happy Dance and Good Vibrations (the softer, grayish speckled color on the cuff) together for a more softly contrasted pair.


They don’t use much yarn at all, so they’re perfect for stash busting and using up leftovers from other projects. I was hoping to make up some mitt kits for this pattern, but I Just ran out of time (all that skeining of minis is pretty time consuming). I may try to do some mitt kits in the future, but for now I’m working on a design to use up all or most of the rest of my three skeins, and will publish that in the near future.

Luckily or unluckily, it’s still cold enough in Virginia to wear them. And I know all of my Northern neighbors have enough winter left that this quick little project will still get some use this season. Happy stitching!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Project Updates: Joji’s MKAL and Other Stuff

Did anyone else catch the Starting Point MKAL bug? I tried not to be lured in, but after looking at some of the photos of the first clue, I was helplessly hooked. It looked like too much fun. (Stop here if you don’t want to see my progress: spoilers ahead 🙂 ).


My colors: Raku, Retro, South Pacific, The Witching Hour, Fog (Retro and South Pacific are on Astraea, the rest are Sunna)

Since I started late, I’m behind, but I have finished both sections of Clue 1, and am just about finished with the first half of Clue 2. I can’t wait to see how this turns out!


Clue 1 in process

The photos below are not the best ~ it was so dark and rainy yesterday I couldn’t get the colors right (the one above is much more true to color).


Two sections of Clue 1 completed (and my matching knitting bag from Split Yarn, because I am nothing if not compulsive haha)

Clue 2 is lots of fun to knit, too. I almost finished one side of them last night. It’s really addictive. The next and last section of Clue 2 is in Fog, the light gray, and is the same size as the bigger section of South Pacific.


Nearly complete Clue 2

Because of the yardage requirements for some of the colors, I didn’t put any kits together for this MKAL. Two of the colors require more than 400 yards, and I don’t – yet – have a fingering weight yarn that’s more than 400 yards per skein. But I’m working on this omission in my yarn line up! But, knitting it, I am thinking if you don’t mind getting creative with what color goes where, I bet it could be knit with 5 skeins of a combination of Sunna and Astraea (I have 6.5 skeins total – two skeins of Sunna in Raku (Sunna is 356 yards per skein), one of Sunna in Fog, one each of Astraea in Retro and South Pacific (400 yards each), and a skein and a half of Sunna in The Witching Hour. I have more than enough yarn in some of the colors, just in one skein, so I’m betting they might be swappable. Once the pattern is fully revealed, it will be easier to tell if this is a possibility. And, if it is, this could be an excellent stash buster for single skeins of these two yarn bases.

I’ve been wanting to knit Retro and South Pacific together ever since I dyed them and held them up next to each other. I absolutely adore all these colors together, and just know this is going to be a wrap I wear a lot!

In other news, I am nearly finished knitting AND WRITING DOWN (duh) the pattern I designed for my son’s sweater, below (this is what I SHOULD be doing instead of knitting Joji’s Starting Point … sigh, no self control).


The final design is slightly different than the pattern below, which I think will be too deep in the yoke for most people. Jackson is so tall and lanky it looks fine on him, but when I tried it on I realized I needed to make some adjustments.

I’m knitting the prototype in Selene, my new DK weight non-shrink organic wool, which I absolutely love.

The pattern will be off soon to the Tech Editor, and then I’ll be looking for some test knitters. Email me at if you’re interested in test knitting this pattern! I’d like to have every size test knit, and I’m hoping to have it in sizes from 6 months through XXL adult.